Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Is Obama the Man for This Job?

(My Original Blog Post: http://ping.fm/yl9jq)
Barack Obama
Daniel Asamota asked:


I know everyone has seen the Democratic National Convention to see Hillary Clinton concede defeat officially to Barack and also witness history being made as he became the first African American chosen to represent the Democratic Party as their Presidential candidate. I must say that I was excited myself to see this (what I saw of it) and very proud at the same time. After so many trials and tribulations, so many sacrifices made by our forebears to achieve the ultimate office in the land at least to be this close, it is nothing short of a miracle from God. This young Senator is carrying a heavy burden on his shoulders and I'm certain that he's aware of it. I have to I wouldn't want to be in his shoes coz' if he wins he can't do NOTHING wrong! If he does, doubtless you'll never see a black President again kind of like the mayor of New York. Remember David Dinkins? (Though that should be looked into), Inspite of it all a lot has been made about his experience. I mean, it's like every other President had experience being the President. The only way the other Presidents had experience is they got re-elected to a second term. Otherwise EVERYBODY'S an amature their first time in the Oval office. So truly that argument is moot. And to think I had quite an argument with an older lady who was a Hillary supporter coz' I told her the real reason she supported Hillary Clinton was because she was a woman. Naturally she leaned back on that ridiculous argument about experience even though I pointed out to her that though Hillary had experience being a First Lady, she did not have any experience being the President. Of course that didn't help any and she finally stalked off in exasperation. A few months later she did indeed admit that she supported Hillary because she was a woman rather than the other reasons she 'passionately' expressed earlier. But then I had to ask myself too; was the fact that Obama was black my sole reason for supporting him? I thought about it and here are my thoughts.

America is at a crossroads now and not for the reasons a lot of people think. I say this because by my own estimate, George W. Bush is on of the most unpopular Presidents of this century and I admit to being one of his worst critics. I mean, I didn't agree with the war, the way he was handling our foreign friends, nor his policies or seeming apathy towards the poor. But I began a turnabout when I noted that to most blacks and others with foresight, America's decline started long before George W. Bush came along. In a word, he's not responsible for the current state of affairs. A lot of this stuff started with Reagan but certain classes made lots of money under Reagan so naturally they had no problem with him, and I'm not going to go into detail coz' the guy is dead so respect is accorded. And then America has constantly been at war with somebody at some point in every decade since AFTER WWII and the one President who wouldn't start a war with Cuba ended up dying in Dallas, but I digress. Plus, we as citizens only see what is shown us, the President is made aware of ALL and so maybe, just maybe war with Iraq COULDN'T BE AVOIDED! I'm not saying that IS the case, I'm just saying WE DON'T KNOW! But he does, and he made the decision to go to war. And that also applies with foreign policy coz' we got to realize things aren't how they used to be. People aren't as friendly as they used to be and that goes for foreign governments also. And I'm an avid supporter of programs for the poor for I benefitted from those programs, but I have also witnessed much abuse of those programs and hard working Americans are bearing the brunt of this. Throwing money at a problem is not the solution and I have seen it firsthand. So no I'm not trying to give President Bush a pass, I'm just pointing out that he's getting beat up for problems and situations that were there before he came to office and he had to deal with them the best way he knew how. And I can respect the man for that. So what does this have to do with Obama? Just that! America has been on a collision course with destiny for to long coz we've been too rich and too powerful for quite a while. And just like anybody who's the biggest and baddest for a while, another pretender to the throne will rise up to topple you from your high place, unless a change is made! America has been operating it's government the same as they did in the 1950's and now it's time to get up to speed! The European nations have united coz they knew in order for them to remain relevant they had to make a tremendous change and now so they have. We need change too. Change in ideas, a change perspective, a change in the way we do business! Can Barack Obama bring about this change? For that matter can John McCain bring about this change? With all respect for McCain (I like the guy) he's a child of the 1940's so there's your answer there. I don't know if Barrack can bring about the change America needs, but I'm gonna' give him a try, and no not because he's black but black, white, red, or yellow I believe he's the MAN for the job.



plumbing 101

No comments:

Post a Comment